I’m sitting on the sofa after a very long, very dull, very unsatisfying day followed by a dreaded teleconference and definitely feeling a little blah so this is a good day to think about how to beat those blahs.
1. Tea. It fixed the Doctor when he was feeling low. It certainly helps my mood when I’m tired and need a pick me up. It has to be proper tea made with milk and no sugar and preferably Waitrose English Breakfast tea.
” Tea! That’s all I needed! Good cup of tea! Super-heated infusion of free-radicals and tannin, just the thing for healing the synapses… “
and guess what, I’m drinking a cup of tea (sadly not the above type but PG Tips Fresh One as we ran out the Waitrose type) and it is making me feel a lot less blah.
2. Cats. I think you know me well now. Those little furry faces with their looks of mischief just before they do something naughty like breaking into drawers or licking the cream out of your cream doughnut. You can’t help but smile when Tamyra climbs up and headbutts your hands for a stroke.
3. Exercise. I don’t often feel like talking a walk when I’m exhausted but weirdly I feel a lot better once I’ve got going. I think I’ve been cooped up a little too much of late so tomorrow I’m heading off for a little stroll. Fresh air is so good for me.
4. Talking to a friend. Someone once said that a problem shared is a problem halved. Life is a bit exhausting at the moment and it is nice to have some good friends to talk to. Quite often I fit in a Skype call and it makes the world of different afterwards.
5. Doing something for someone else. I had a great time helping a very tired friend get ready for Christmas. It was good for me as I felt helpful and not feel blue about Christmas as I have done every year since Stu died and good for her as we got to help each other.
6. Craft. One of my fondest days of the week is Friday when I join the craft group to make flowers. Sometimes I’m too blah to go out but if I make a supreme effort, I usually find I’m much cheerier afterwards.
7. Dancing and singing like no one is looking. I know it sounds strange (and my long-time blog friends will know that I *am* strange) but klezmer music really lifts my mood. There are some really good bands like Klezmer Kollectiv and Sandanski’s Chicken which I recommend.
8. Being inspired. I work hard at thinking of new ideas for projects so I surround myself with books and magazines to spark that imaginative streak. I keep a positivity journal where I list one or two lines on positive things I’ve done in the day – a goal accomplished, something nice that has happened.
9. Trying to step outside of myself. Another strange one. With recent home events, I did feel rather overwhelmed by all that was going on so I’ve been working on staying on the outside and not letting myself wallow in deep emotions.
10. Cooking. I really enjoy cooking and it helps me to chill down a bit when I get home in the evenings.
pao is also very good to have around when you are feeling blah.